Moving into a new Omaha home is a lot of stress, excitement, and work, all of which make it easy to forget the most important thing about your new home- it’s safety. Knowing your home is safe makes it easier for you and your family to relax and enjoy your new surroundings. Here are 5 tips to keep your family and your new home safe:
- Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors: Make sure these are properly installed on every floor of the house and cover all sleeping areas. Test the alarms and detectors monthly, and replace the batteries annually, unless they start chirping sooner.
- Burglarproofing: Change all locks upon moving into a new house. The previous owners may have surrendered their key copies, but you never know who else they might have given a copy out to. Make sure all entries into the house have deadbolts.
- Neighbors: Take the time to get to know your neighbors, you might find a lifelong friend! More than that though, you’ll have someone you can count on to keep an eye on your house if you go out of town.
- Home Security System: There are many types of home security systems that will work with many budgets, many will also give you a discount on your homeowner’s insurance. If a home security system won’t work with your budget, consider purchasing a security sign for your yard or window. This should deter many unwelcome visitors.
- Ground Floor Windows: Planting thorny shrubs, such as rosebushes, will make a burglar think twice about breaking-in. Also, don’t stack wood near the side of your house, as it can be used as a ladder to climp up to any higher windows.
Your new Omaha home should be a place you and your family can rest and relax, and what easier way to do that than to know you’re safe? If you’re considering moving into a new home contact me today! I’ll help you find a home your family can enjoy and feel safe in.
Would you like to share a home safety tip? Do you have a question about home safety? Let us know in the comments below! I would love to hear from you!